From Fried To Fresh From Fried To Fresh From Fried To Fresh From Fried To Fresh From Fried To Fresh

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Doing a little leaning....

After years of eating meat, drinking gallons of milk and eating a lot of animal products, I am currently making the lean back to a plant based lifestyle. It is going to be much harder than before, now I am married and have a child. However, I know a change needs to be made and the time has come!!!!! When I was a vegan, more than 8 years ago, it was much harder than it is now. With the help of Twitter, I can find the support I need from other vegans that are willing to share yummy recipes.

Last night I decided I was going to try a new recipe that I found on Twitter from Mama Pea and it is AMAZING. When I first saw the tweet called zucchini quinoa lasagna I immediately wanted some. How could you go wrong with the three things I love...zucchini, quinoa and spaghetti sauce? You cant!!!! Most of the ingredients I currently have at home and I only had to get one fresh herb.

Zucchini Quinoa Lasagna
Serves 4-6


•2 large zucchini, cut into 12 thin, 1/4 in. thick slices
•salt
•1 c. quinoa, rinsed
•2 c. vegetable broth
•1/2 c. tomato sauce
•1/4 c. minced onion
•1 t. dried oregano
•1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped
•1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
•2 T. organic or non-dairy cream cheese, i.e. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese (optional)
•salt and pepper to taste
•1 jar organic marinara sauce
•1/2 c. organic or non-dairy cheese, i.e. Daiya (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400.

2. To prepare zucchini, cut a strip off of one side to make a flat base.

3. Then, thinly slice zucchini into “noodles.” You’ll want 12 noodles in total.

4. Place noodles in a colander and sprinkle with salt, layering between paper towels.

5. Let this sit and absorb moisture while preparing the quinoa.

6. Combine quinoa, vegetable broth, tomato sauce, onion and oregano in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.

7. Cover and lower heat, simmering for 20 minutes. When quinoa has absorbed all the liquid, fold in cream cheese and herbs.



8. Add salt and pepper to taste, and try not to eat the whole pot.



9. Pour enough of marinara in the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish to cover the bottom. Using a clean dry towel, blot remaining moisture and salt from zucchini and layer 4 noodles across the sauce.

10. Put a layer of quinoa across the zucchini,and cover with another 1/3 c. of marinara sauce.

11. Repeat with another layer of quinoa, sauce and zucchini.

12. Top the final layer of zucchini with remaining sauce and 1/2 c. of cheese, if using.

13. Bake lasagna for 30 minutes, until heated through and zucchini is tender.





*Directions came straight from Mama Peas site*

This is my new favorite meal! I plan on making it a couple of times a month and putting the leftovers in the freezer and taking some for lunch with a side salad. If you are wondering if hubbs and Owen ate this....think again!!!!! It didn't really matter to me, I am happy to indulge it in all by myself. :)

If you are thinking my blog looks a little frumpy, its because it is currently getting a makeover. I am really excited to see the finish product, but I'm even more excited to document my journey.

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment